
When we approach our personal assessments of anything we do, sometimes we can get a little too analytical. Instead of seeing positive progress we tend to look only at what we can improve upon and ignore what we have accomplished. Completing the tournament last weekend I reflected on the drive home and found that I played very well and the score simply did not reflect the performance. My ball striking was overall, very good, short game was above average for me and my putting continues to be a good feel lately. I shot 83 with a tale of two 9's, 38-45. I was able to stay away from the big numbers and put up nothing over a double bogey. I did this by not staying attached to the poor shots that cost me strokes and simply moving on and going forward. Many of the shot shapes I setup for created the result I intended, I simply failed to judge the wind properly on a few and aligned incorrectly on a couple others but minus those mental errors, the physical game is progressing well. I do need to spend much more time on short game now. I feel like im average in that phase of my game and in order to get to a low single digit I know I need to get to very good at least. More practice time in the short game area and developing a better sand game I feel will allow me to save 2-4 strokes per round on average, putting my rounds of 81-83 to 77-79. The idea is to keep focused throughout and maintain a good discipline with practice sessions and make sure to focus now on the little things that make a big difference.
My good friend Kevin recently had a fantastic round of 75 to tie and eventually win his flight. he puts in the hours needed to shoot scores like that so I will need to do that same.
Stay tuned for video updates next month...
Fairways and Greens
No comments:
Post a Comment