
Hello all and welcome to the first edition of the 2011 season(yes, two weeks early but the golf tournament season has begun!). Beginning with the good news this past weekends tournament was one to remember for sure! It began rather sketchy as I started the day double bogey-triple bogey and then the heavy rains came. As the round went on and I was able to get rid of the nerves I began to strike the ball with incredible accuracy. The confidence growing with each hole, each shot was better and better, shaping just as I envisioned them. As the rains continued and increased, putting became more of an act of will to simply 2 putt which became my goal no matter the distance, as standing water on the green was the theme of the day. As the round progressed the rain grew more steady, now sideways, blown by a wind so brutal, the rocks were screaming! Coming up to 17 I needed to par out for an 80 which I assumed would more than carry a victory on this day. playing into a 25-35mile per hour wind driven rain, it becomes a bit difficult to select a club. it was a short par 4 so normally a 4iron-5iron was the club, but I chose 3 wood to make sure I did not have a blind shot. The wind as it has impeccable timing, calmed down right as I made contact with the ball and the tee shot wound up behind a tree on the right side of the fairway. As I came to the ball I saw that I did have a shot at the green but needed to keep the ball low. As I lined up the shot I noticed a river developing on the green right at the hole. I thought, miss on the high side, two putt and move on. I hit a great shot, just on the fringe on the high side. By the time we arrived at the green, the whole was full of water and the river was right in my line. three putts later i am standing on 18th tee just looking forward to getting out of the weather. As I post an 81 in the clubhouse and look up at the scoreboard I see I'm tied with 3 other folks for first place. We head back out for the playoff and find standing water again on the green, 3 inch pond in front of my ball impeding my line. After some debate and discussion, I decide its too cold and too wet to worry so I three putt again through the river take my bogey, wish the rest of the guys good luck, take my second place and head to the warmth of the clubhouse. Checking the rules, I was indeed entitled to relief but there really was no where to take it. I was very happy with the overall performance. One really important step I need to take going forward is to find a way to channel the nerves on the first 4 holes, give me simply bogey on those firs two and I shot 78. Lessons to be learned from every situation. Heading to Palm Springs for Christmas to play some golf and hang out with some great friends! Hope everyone has a great holiday break.
Fairways and Greens!
No comments:
Post a Comment