
Greetings everyone and welcome to the holiday edition of Journey to the center of the fairway. First tournament on the Sacramento tour has been booked, January 29th at the Reserve at Spanos Park GC.
IT'S TIME!!
Quite a bit has transpired over the past month or so and most has been positive and progressive. I have started to adapt to my new frozen landscape and feel a sense of home now though I do still have those warm Christmas memories from last year in Palm Springs dancing in my head. The practice time lately although limited has been very productive. The short game is progressing about as I expected seeing as I'm a bit short on daylight due to work hours and only about 8hrs of daylight. I'm developing more shots from 30yds and in, bump and run, soft chip, bump and check, baby flops(thanks Kev for the tip)etc...But the biggest change is the putting alignment. I've been able to adapt rather quickly to a more upright posture with my putting stance which allows me to feel the shoulders go back and through with more sense of the pace and allow me to focus more on the target line rather than distance. I feel a greater sense of control when hitting these short shots and putts than I did a few months ago so that tells me things are going in the right direction.
As for the full swing, that may be my proudest moment currently. I've played two rounds since I've moved here to Sparks and both have really been positive. The course conditions are not quite up to standards for score keeping seeing as the ponds are frozen and the greens are filled with holes so I simply go out and work on hitting shots which is quite beneficial. As I've been working on a few swing fundamentals, trying to get my hip turn more consistent(thanks Chris) it has started to get stored into muscle memory now and I'm onto working on shaping shots and changing trajectories from the tee and from the fairways. While the fade is still somewhat elusive, I've been able to really control my draw and keep my ball flight low when I need to.
Onto the fitness side of things now! Since I've moved, I've rededicated myself to my physical fitness and so far it has gone very well. I've gained 12lbs(8lbs of muscle). I'm still about 10lbs from my goal weight and once I reach that, I'm going to implement a much more flexibility focused routine to maximize my movement in the golf swing.
Things are looking up for 2012 and we just were informed that the national finals in September are at TPC Sawgrass again. I owe that course a little something so with that in mind, I'm now heading out to the putting green for some more practice in the cold!
To all my friends who have or are starting new families and\or new adventures, Congratulations on your new arrivals and congratulations on your new chosen paths. May the be filled with amazing experiences and full of positive events!!
IT'S TIME!
Fairways and Greens!!
No comments:
Post a Comment