My Blog List

Friday, June 3, 2011

Time for change


It has been a few weeks since my last visit to the blog sphere and it has allowed me a bit of reflection on my game. Currently my game has been in a tailspin since my last good round(a 73 mind you!). For some reason the swing got very tight very quick and I've been unable to resolve this on my own. I went and had a quick 30 min lesson this evening with my instructor and got back on video to see exactly what was going on. Everything looked OK initially but my instructor pointed out a bit of a sway that crept back in my swing as well as the swing itself getting a bit long. we shortened it up and tried to limit the sway but were unable to do so. While she was observing me to try to establish root cause we came across some interesting things. During our conversation I mentioned that this issue began right around the time I made my way back to the gym. She immediately started observing my flexibility at the ankles and hips and noticed quite a limitation with my rotation around the ankle. We went back to some archive video from a previous lesson and found that my lead foot was turned out then and now it was turned in, severely limiting my rotation, causing the longer swing and the sway. After some initial swings we were able to get my baby draw back and I felt much more comfortable with the swing.

So now in addition to weights I'm going to be focusing heavily on flexibility and stretching going forward to keep consistency. It's amazing how the little things make a bigger difference the better you get!

As for my fitness and overall health, it has been getting much better. I'm now on day 26 of absolute sobriety. It has had its tough moments not being able to enjoy a cold beer at Stone Brewery, or having to go through the entire memorial day weekend without a drink but alas I have a goal and intend to keep it. I'm contemplating cutting the timeline from 60 days to 30 days. We shall see....

Fairways and Greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment